Tuesday, November 22, 2011

22. I am thankful for...Medicine

I take 4 pills daily (plus use an inhaler)-some more than once.  This is just my daily medicine.  There are days when I need my migraine medicine, my other inhaler and the other common medicines for the aches, pains, intestinal issues that we humans have.

Among the myriad of pills I take daily- for various conditions- is my trusty allergy pill. 

I can still remember the days when I couldn't take allergy medicine-it put me to sleep.  I couldn't function with it.   I have severe airborne allergies-and I remember how it was growing up constantly feeling on edge and just awful a full 10 months out of the year.

Now, I barely give my airborne allergies thought (wish I could say that about my food ones).  I take a tiny pill once a day.  Every day.  It's like a miracle.  I can do anything without the itch, watery eyes, the constant sneezing, the nose-oh, the nose.  I had to stop taking my allergy medicine for 2 weeks a while back-and it was awful.  I was miserable. Completely miserable.   Even though I remember the 'no meds' days-reality was so much different.

Now, airborne allergies are usually "just" a nuisance (albeit a big one).  Can you imagine not having available some other medications?  Life saving medications? Lifestyle altering medications?
Not having the one pill that would save your life?

There are people out there in the world without access to medications.

That's a scary thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment