Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Cross this off my bucket list!

I ran my first whole mile today. Ever.

This may not seem like a big thing to you-but to me it is monumental.

Having unmedicated asthma and severe airborne allergies-sports were never my thing.
I wanted to run, but was never successful.
The farthest I have run in the past was 440 yards.  (1/4 mile / 1 time around a track)-and that was after a couple months of trying.

Now, with asthma and allergies controlled and a strong desire to succeed, I am attempting to run again.  It has not been easy.  I tried the Couch to 5K program.  I never even made it past Week 1.
I didn't have the right shoes and got patellar tendonitus. My knee became too stiff to walk steps easily.

I gave up twice and let my body heal-and bought new shoes.  I lost 10 pounds.

I have great motivators, however, via Twitter and daily mile.  My friends run.  5K, 10K and half-marathons.  I want that. (at least the 5K part).

This summer I have walked several times a week.  Faster and Faster.  I began running the short blocks here and there on my route that was flat.  I increased my running.  I made sure to have lots of rest days and "just walking" days.

Today, I ran a whole mile on a flat trail. I walked the mile back-telling myself the whole time to take it easy because I really wanted to run intervals back.

I am sure I will hurt tomorrow.  The muscles above my ankles/lower part of shin burned the last part of the run.

It will be worth it!  It felt great!  I can't wait to do it again!

4 comments:

  1. YAY! Congratulations on keeping at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's fantastic! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started running in January and I felt the same thing when I made it a mile. I honestly could have cried. I had never done it before, even as a kid. I actually did a 1/2 marathon in May and it was amazing. Something I never in a million years thought I could do. Keep it up!! It's good for your mental health too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you. I ran before getting pregnant and now I am trying to get back into it.Keep it up, it is such a great stress reliever.

    ReplyDelete