Sunday, September 19, 2010

My Grandpa

My grandpa:

-was the most honest and ethical man you would ever meet.

-was meticulous, methodical, a perfectionist, patient and kind.
Everything had it's place. He picked up microscopic pieces of lint of the freshly vacuumed floor.  Recently, my dad found a file labeled "raincoat" in a filing cabinet full of stuff of my grandfathers-work stuff, bills, etc.  He expected to find a warranty for some kind of raincoat.  Inside this paper thin file was-a perfectly folded vinyl raincoat. I found a book about math or chemistry or some science today of his today when sorting a box looking for pictures to take to St. Louis.  His printing was the neatest printing I have ever seen.  It resembled a type writer. The drawings were perfect and exact.  There were no eraser marks, no pages missing.

-wore bolo ties and "Mr. Rogers" sweaters.  Wore slacks every day.  He wore a suit coat and hat when he went out.  I never saw him in khakis or jeans-even when doing any type of work around the house. 

-collected stamps (and some coins).

-would not let me walk on the (paved) driveway in bare feet.  There is a picture somewhere of me with one foot in the grass and one on the driveway looking at him with a glint in my eye.

-started at a chemical company (now Bayer) as a washer of beakers and test tubes while going to college.  He retired as Treasurer.

-loved my grandmother.  I have pictures of him looking adoringly at her throughout their life together.

-was a gentle, patient man.  Never raised his voice to us grandkids-even when obviously annoyed with us.

-was my only grandfather.  I have 4 grandmothers that I remember (both of my parent's parents and their parents (in other words-my grandma and great-grandma-from both sides of my family).  But only 1 grandfather exists in my memories.  The rest were gone before I was born.

My grandpa died yesterday.  He joins my grandma, his wife of over 60 years, who died 3 months ago .
He lived a wonderful life.  The last couple years he has steadily declined and had his ups and downs, good days and bad days. He was 94.  I was blessed to have him as a grandfather.

I miss him...

No comments:

Post a Comment