Sunday, November 14, 2010

A running update

The good:
I can run a mile consistently.  I DO run a mile consistently.  I typically walk a mile, then run, then walk the rest-totaling 4 miles.
I worked up to 1.5 miles and was ready to move on and then got something-a mild cold, an allergy overload-something-which had me take a couple days off and then walk only for a day or so--and I was back to struggling to go over a mile.

The bad(?)

-I am really only running on mostly downhill graded trails. It isn't 100% downhill and you don't really notice the incline-it usually looks flat.  It has just been the way it is-not by design untilthis weekend.  Since I need a mile warm up-and that's the way the trail is.


 I have started attempting to run as much of my "easiest" neighborhood walk-which has some hills.  I do this on the days I can't get home before dark (and therefore trail running is out) and I don't have time/desire for my long neighborhood walk with the steep hills.  I need to be able to run hills-I feel like I struggle more than I should-so it's a mini monster I am battling. 

Also, I am so uncoordinated I never seem to get into a groove-I feel like I am just plodding along-and that I will fall flat on my face any minute. I envy those who run with ease. I just--don't.  My pace varies and I just can't figure out how to work on making this steady and easy.  If I have to adjust something (the ipod, lapping my stopwatch on my phone) I feel like I am flailing about. I mean I am so clumsy I tripped over the computer cord (again) and walked by my husband and knocked over several things on the end table with an empty laundry basket (again).  Within an hour-Yestderday.   Recently, when running, I hit my ankle with the heel of my other show-causing a bruise.  Which bothered me for 2 weeks.  Any tips?

So my 2 goals now are:
increase my running distance
increase my abiity to run hills

So-on goal # 1:
I decided to split a longer run on the trail-something I don't have time for now with this time change during the week.  In order to increase my distance-I looked at the trail and decided to go with another section of the trail with more downhill incline than up.  
 Yesterday, I walked 1.2 miles, ran 1.8, walked 1.8, ran 1 mile and walked .2 (3 miles out and back on the Montour trail-conveniently sectioned out for me). 
I figured this is the best way to increase my distance and time...and this will increase my endurance. Over time, I will run the entire 2.8 without a walking break.

Goal #2:  My "daily" 1 mile+ will be in the opposite direction.  To up my hills (and really, it's only a slight grade-that's what Bothers me about how much I struggle!)  and I will continue attempting to run my "easy walk" neighborhood route-



The Ugly:
My shoes.   They are driving me crazy.  They have been wonderful in keeping me from being injured-and allowing me to actually run.  But something is just not right with them anymore.
The left foot is mostly good.  I have to adjust the way it is tied it a little-not much.  Not worries.  It is the right foot that is insane.  If you look at both feet.  The right laces are pulled so much closer than the left.  They must be tight-but over the bone in my foot-not tight-not loose.  Where I tie them they have to be loose to allow movement-firmly tied hurts.  If the shoes are not exactly right-my knee clicks.  and clicks.  and clicks.  I had to adjust them 4 times the other day-and they still weren't right.  I don't have enough miles on these shoes to say they are worn out.  Throwing them in the washer helps.  I only had to adjust them once after the last wash.  I think they are stretching out over a week or two.  I need new shoes.  I need to go back to the running store and get re-fitted.  I know this.  But money's tight-so I will make due.

I need a Nike+ sensor, too because I am obsessed with timing my walks and runs--and keeping track of the distance.  My current method is not my favorite-since it's my phone and any calls stop it.

Since I am new to running-does anyone have any tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment